JG4: Senior Data Scientist:
General Position Definition
- Finance & Data Operations Commercial Data Science Team is tasked with delivering tangible value to business units within Shell through data-driven decision making.
- This position is part of Finance & Data Operations Data Science team leading a team of data scientists delivering advanced analytics projects for different businesses within Shell. The individual will join a growing global data science organization spanning both on/offshore.
- The incumbent is responsible for shaping and driving innovation in Trading and Supply Distribution Operations across the region, in collaboration with various business stakeholders and other partners.
- The ideal candidate has strong background in quantitative skills (like statistics, mathematics, advanced computing, machine learning), brings domain expertise, has applied those skills in solving real world problems across different businesses / functions and has managed small teams in delivering insights.
- Identify commercial data science opportunities in the data sources that already exist.
- Design and articulate the data science solution relevant to the opportunity
- Lead identification of appropriate data science models and evaluate their fitment for the available data
- Articulate the insights from the models in business-friendly language and explain the workings of the model for business adoption
- Support data science engagement manager in the development of the project pipeline
Industry / Functional Expertise: Functional expertise in any one or more of the following industry / functional areasSupply Chain / Spend: Demand & Supply Forecasting, Spend Analytics, Vendor Scoring, Pricing analysis (buy-side), product portfolio optimization, Tail spend analysis, logistics / network / route optimization, Contract ComplianceTrading & Risk Management: Across Credit & Market Risk - Value at Risk (VAR), Back testing, Stress testingModeling and Technology Skills: Deep expertise in machine learning techniques /statistics / mathematics / operations researchStrong experience in specialized analytics tools and technologies (including, but not limited to): Python, R, Alteryx, SQL (preferably two out of 4) / Power BI, SpotfireFor Operations Research (AIMS, Cplex, Matlab)Awareness of Agile / Scrum ways of working
- Stakeholder Management SkillsForming close relationships with business stakeholders across business/regions to comprehensively understand their areas of operation and apply those in project execution
- Clearly articulate the challenges / opportunities in business that can be supported by analytics
- Deliver actionable insights that directly address challenges / opportunities
- Guide articulation of business insights and recommendations based on understanding of business / function and respective stakeholders
- Understanding of business governance and control structures & selecting the right analytical approaches which are consistent with businesses control/governance framework
- Understanding business KPIs, frameworks and drivers for performance
- Execute end-to-end analytics projects - Project scoping, sourcing data, managing modeling, translating model results into business insights, and helping business partner understand insights and make decisions accordingly (help generate value for organization through analytics)
- Creating project management plan, running status update meetings, coordinating deliverables and timelines, and managing risks to project delivery
- Recognize the level of statistical knowledge in business stakeholders vs. analytics experts vs. IT resources and articulating how analytics will be applied appropriately
- Manage different moving parts - business stakeholders, IT, Analytics Resources, Data Experts, SMEs, etc. for the successful execution of the projects (executing multiple projects at a time will be considered a plus)
- 7+ years in Analytics/ Data Science
- Bachelor’s in engineering / Master’s degrees in mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics, or related areas
- Track record of successfully delivering high number of analytics projects in an industry
- Track record of applying analytics to address business opportunities
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and influencing skills
- Deep understanding of industry / function and associated processes, data, and systems
- A self-starter, able to work on initiative with a strong desire to learn
python; advanced analytics; r; pricing analysis; data science; cplex; machine learning; sql; statistics; alteryx
Shell India Markets Private Limited